JudoForum.com: USA Judo Statement to USOC on Official Accused of Molesting Athletes - JudoForum.com

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

USA Judo Statement to USOC on Official Accused of Molesting Athletes Rate Topic: ***** 7 Votes

#166 User is offline   BCA-Judo 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:00 AM

This Fletcher is very disgusting. I suggest that all referees walks out if Fletcher shows up to their official meeting before a tournament. I feel bad to even suggest this. But if JI does not make any changes it really leaves us no choice. And any tournament director that invites Fletcher to be the head referee or even be present at their tournament deserve treatment no less than having all referees left.

I further suggest as another forum member has suggest earlier; all coaches, parents and competitors should boycott any tournament where Fletcher is present by requesting a refund and leave.

#167 User is offline   Michael Hanwell 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

Dear Judodog,

It is the previously demonstrated act of suspension by the USJI without a criminal conviction that is being highlighted here. The question of why this has not been applied in this case is perfectly relevant.

#168 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

I have scrutinized the USJI's list of recognized coaches of the past couple of years. It turns out that the name of Fletcher is nowhere on there. This is very smart. By not applying to function as a coach or for any coaching certificate, he is also immune from being investigated under the Coaches Ethics Agreement. The more I look at this the more, it seems as he has carefully planned, sidestepped and helped crafting regulations to protect himself. I bet he knows the JI's rules and bylaws better than most of the other JI's executives.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#169 User is offline   annmaria 

• Dr.
  • Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

The USJI statement is a lie and anyone is free to quote me on that.

They say they did an investigation in Colorado Springs in 1982 at the U.S. Open. and people did not come forward. I was not notified of this hearing and I was a witness to some of this and I later wrote a complaint to USJI about sexual harassment by Fletcher, a complaint I submitted in 2005. Another woman who alleged to have been sexually abused by Fletcher as a teenager wrote a letter in 2005. This was NOT one of the girls who wrote complaints that brought about the 1982 investigation. She was in Colorado Springs and did not know any investigation was happening, nor did I. So, to say that people do not have the right to file complaints because they did not appear at an investigation they did not know was happening and did not appeal a finding they did not know happened is a pretty outrageous claim.

Even if we had read the USJI minutes, here is what they said, "The claims against Fletcher were investigated and found not to be substantiated."

Since we knew he had molested girls, in fact, one of us was a girl he molested, even if we had read that we would have known it could not have possibly been that. Besides, we knew no one had contacted us or our friends who were still in judo so what kind of investigation could have happened. This was IF we had happened to read that one sentence in the USJI minutes.

How was it not substantiated? I spoke with the late Frank Fullerton on this and he said that Tad Nalls made a mistake in investigating it. He told me that Tad held a hearing in Colorado Springs, the girls from Washington state who had written these affidavits did not show up so Tad dismissed it for lack of evidence. THAT was their investigation.

I would encourage you all to not just say you are going to write or call the USOC but to actually do so. Someone made the comment to me that as just one parent in judo he had little influence. I believe 10,000 parents would have influence. If someone has fax, phone and email for the U.S. Olympic Committee, you may want to post it here.

Feel free to quote anything I said. It shouldn't be hard to prove that I was at U.S Open that year. I won it.

#170 User is offline   Richard Riehle 

• Visitor from Planet Salo in the Crab Nebula
  • Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

View PostCichorei Kano, on Jul 19 2008, 01:51 AM, said:

I have scrutinized the USJI's list of recognized coaches of the past couple of years. It turns out that the name of Fletcher is nowhere on there. This is very smart. By not applying to function as a coach or for any coaching certificate, he is also immune from being investigated under the Coaches Ethics Agreement. The more I look at this the more, it seems as he has carefully planned, sidestepped and helped crafting regulations to protect himself. I bet he knows the JI's rules and bylaws better than most of the other JI's executives.

Fletcher (I think this is the first time I have actually used his name) is a regular guest speaker at the USJI coach certification clinics. He does make a good contribution to those clinics since his knowledge of the rules of Judo is quite comprehensive. Consequently, there is no evidence that we can fault him for his competence as a referee. In this role, he has apparently proven himself.

There is a question about the offset of competence in his official capacity versus the alleged misconduct in his personal deportment. Is it right that his ability to manipulate the rules can tip the balance so heavily in his own favor that the board is reduced to cowardice when confronted with that ability? Someone suggested he might bring a lawsuit of his own. That is the most delightful prospect so far. All the documents from the past might be used in such a proceeding, and his misdeeds, if there were misdeeds, would be illuminated in the spotlight of our legal system. If he is not simply "in denial" (i.e., does not realize the gravity of or even the occurrence of his misconduct), he might pursue litigation as a course of action. If he does understand how severe his past behavior was, then he will think carefully before subjecting himself to the unrelenting scrutiny of judicial proceedings.

Courage and honor as character traits are not out of fashion. I continue to hope that there are those on the USJI board who are blessed with both of those character traits and will act according to them. As I noted in an earlier post, no organization, especially one that involves the safety and security of children, should put the salvation of a single member over its fiduciary responsibility to its most vulnerable members. Courage? Honor? In my world, those words have meaning. It is difficult to live up to them, and we sometimes disappoint ourselves. But we make an effort. I hope those same words will have meaning to those on the board at USJI.

#171 User is offline   forzajudo 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I would encourage you all to not just say you are going to write or call the USOC but to actually do so. Someone made the comment to me that as just one parent in judo he had little influence. I believe 10,000 parents would have influence. If someone has fax, phone and email for the U.S. Olympic Committee, you may want to post it here.

Here are a couple numbers that should point us in the right direction:

US Olympic Committee
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
Main Telephone: 719-866-4837
Fax: 719-632-2884

I also found these two numbers listed as well. (888) 659-8687 or

This post has been edited by forzajudo: 19 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

#172 User is offline   sugatasanshiro 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

I agree with an earlier poster, we need to contact HBO Sports and get Bryant Gumbel's team on this. The perfect story for "Real Sports." I think the court of public opinion will bring pressure on the USOC and ultimately USA Judo to clean up its house.

This post has been edited by sugatasanshiro: 19 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

#173 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

View PostRichard Riehle, on Jul 19 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

Fletcher (I think this is the first time I have actually used his name) is a regular guest speaker at the USJI coach certification clinics. He does make a good contribution to those clinics since his knowledge of the rules of Judo is quite comprehensive. Consequently, there is no evidence that we can fault him for his competence as a referee. In this role, he has apparently proven himself.

There is a question about the offset of competence in his official capacity versus the alleged misconduct in his personal deportment. Is it right that his ability to manipulate the rules can tip the balance so heavily in his own favor that the board is reduced to cowardice when confronted with that ability? Someone suggested he might bring a lawsuit of his own. That is the most delightful prospect so far. All the documents from the past might be used in such a proceeding, and his misdeeds, if there were misdeeds, would be illuminated in the spotlight of our legal system. If he is not simply "in denial" (i.e., does not realize the gravity of or even the occurrence of his misconduct), he might pursue litigation as a course of action. If he does understand how severe his past behavior was, then he will think carefully before subjecting himself to the unrelenting scrutiny of judicial proceedings.

Courage and honor as character traits are not out of fashion. I continue to hope that there are those on the USJI board who are blessed with both of those character traits and will act according to them. As I noted in an earlier post, no organization, especially one that involves the safety and security of children, should put the salvation of a single member over its fiduciary responsibility to its most vulnerable members. Courage? Honor? In my world, those words have meaning. It is difficult to live up to them, and we sometimes disappoint ourselves. But we make an effort. I hope those same words will have meaning to those on the board at USJI.

I don't believe that he'll file against anybody. He would have done so long before. Instead, the rules were changed, and he was a part of if not the instigator to that rule change. And, he was a major beneficiary of that rule change. It's not denial; it's cover-up. I agree, the easiest way to bring these allegations to light would be if he filed a defamation suit. Unfortunately, truth is a defense to defamation.

I agree, courage and honor are not out of fashion - they are just impractical to some people. I'm a bit more jaded than you, sensei Riehle, believing that the powers that be are more concerned for themselves than things like courage, honor, fiduciary responsibility, and judo. Unfortunately, those who turn from courage and honor don't understand or don't care that they become the epitome of the antithesis of courage and honor, imbued with cowardice as scoundrels. It is a pity. We try to teach our children to be true, to at least adhere to the Golden Rule, and that, even in this day and age, they have done well when they have acted true to themselves even when those around them do wrong. We try to teach them to stand on their own. Then, they have to deal with the fact that those ideals are not held by all, and that many people are guided by a more base principle - one of self gain, greed, and keeping power.

I have a lot of admiration for those like AM who are willing to place themselves in the public spotlight to deal with these accusations. To me, standing up for those in most need of protection, especially against a well entrenched power structure, deserve admiration. It is up to us to back them up so that it doesn't take a grand act of courage to step forward, and it doesn't take the movement of 10,000 parents to get the JI to do its job in the future.

To me, this is the fight: if JI doesn't take appropriate action the next child injured by somebody will have a much tougher time coming forward. If JI can't deal with this in an open way, subject to the same public scrutiny that the accusation has been, then who among us could counsel a young person to step forward ever again? It would merely be a continuation of abuse. If JI had dealt with this appropriately in the past, they would be able to publish more than a statement that they had already dealt with it so that the public could compare their actions with those of the complaints. That it has become something so public is an indication of how poorly this whole thing has been handled. It is cowardice.
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#174 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:06 AM

View PostRichard Riehle, on Jul 20 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

Unfortunately, it does happen when someone who also is truly competent in a number of areas deviates from the straight path. Being a competent referee, a knowledgeable official, does not make someone immune from crimes of passion or abuse of authority.

No doubt, some things will be very hard to prove. Any eventual manipulation of the rules in his favor, for example, is just one of these things. The gentleman did not have the authority by himself to change bylaws; all he did was launch or support motions, which were approved by the entire board. So, legally there will be very little if anything to get him on that.

I also agree with Stacey. In terms of slander (oral word) or defamation (written word), he could only retaliate if he can prove that anything said about him is malicious and untrue. In terms of the molesting allegations, he would have to show that he is being confused with someone else, was not in the country for years, is the victim of a malicious conspiracy, or any other highly unlikely circumstance.

The one thing one has to bear in mind, is that while we or you might have difficulties gaining evidence, that Law Enforcement does not have many of those difficulties as they can go a lot further than either me, you or the JI can go, including wire tapping, search warrants, mail confiscation, or do things that for us would constitute invasion of privacy. They can also act on rumors or impressions to further investigate if they feel there is probably cause.

I would not go as far as suggest that the JI is intentionally misguiding the process. I can see Jose's point to some extent. My impression is that their or the USOC's legal counsel realized that they pretty much have their own hands and feet tied because of previous incompetence, because of lapses in their bylaws (statute of limitations), because the accused has carefully maneuvered to not be subject to certain clauses, because the bylaws do not foresee in any option or existence of appeals or reopening cases and risk for double jeopardy exists, etc.

I cannot possibly imagine that the USJI is pleased with this. Irrespective of what is going to happen to the accused, this is real headache for them either way.

The way, I read the JI's statement is: "Go to Law Enforcement". In this way the issue is dealt with without the JI having to do anything, and it would also give them a legal reason, even if they made mistakes or even if because of their bylaws they cannot do much now, they could get rid of the accused. They are going to be a lot less reluctant if there is a criminal conviction in which case it also would show up on background checks, and they would not have to fear any legal retaliation from F.T. either.

Already now, the JI likely realizes they are not going to come out of this without blemishes. I imagine that if they do get rid of the accused that both judo public as JI finally will realize that a thorough revision of the bylaws is necessary; this is not just for the JI, but also for the JA and the JF.

We have argued before on this forum where I said that a complete and thorough separation between executive, legislative and and judicial power is essential. I argued about the importance of rights of the defense, but also rights of the accused. I pointed out that under European Law (in particular, article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights) any sports organization failing to do so, would have any imposed sanctions vacated. I was rebuffed at the time as it was pointed out that under American Law only the government is subject to most of these restrictions, and that a private organization can do whatever it wants. I hope that this case shows sufficiently the need for a separations of powers ... even if not required by American Law.

Any ethics or disciplinary investigation should not in anyway have to involve the Board of Directors, but should be conducted by an independent committee in which no one with any executive function can seat. Any disciplinary sanction, including suspension or eviction, should be the authority and prerogative of such a Disciplinary or Ethics Committee WITHOUT any involvement of the Board of Directors. It should NOT be the Board of Directors or only the Board of Directors who could ask an Ethics or Disciplinary Committee to investigate. Any one should be able to initiate such complaint, although also protection should exist against frivolous complaints.

It is also clear that only separation of the three powers can ensure fairness particularly when a member of the Board of Directors or even the CEO is the subject of alleged misconduct in Ethical or Disciplinary matters. It is clear that a Disciplinary or Ethics Committee should be able to operate completely independently and without any special permission from CEO or Board of Directors, so that they also would have the authority to suspend or sanction a member of the Board of Directors including the CEO, just like a Federal Judge or Appeals Court or Supreme Court can sanction the government.

I believe that it is good that a statute of limitations exist to avoid endless bickering, or frivolous complaints just to get someone. But one has to reflect if a statute of limitations as it is defined is realistic and appropriate for most violations likely to occur within a judo organization.

Finally, disciplinary proceedings including announcement of penalties, should be public just like a normal trial, with the exception of certain cases where the protection of the identity of minors may be necessary. It has been known for hundreds of years that a public trial gives the best guarantees for fairness and absence of manipulations. A clear appeals procedure must be defined. Appeals should be investigated by an entirely different committee without anyone who has previously judged the case, and once more without anyone who holds executive functions. Bylaws should state what term exists after a previous sanction or decision for filing the appeal, where it should be filed, how it should be filed, and eventually on what grounds it can be filed. Bylaws should also state what sort of sanctions are in place for what sort of violations.

There is a huge amount of work to be done in this area in all three judo organizations. I hope that the current case will finally prompt some action in this area. All three organizations are free to contact me by PM, and I will be more than happy to compose a committee of law experts with expertise in sports law to draw up such proper disciplinary proceedings.

This post has been edited by Cichorei Kano: 20 July 2008 - 12:48 AM

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#175 User is offline   kanojujitsu 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:02 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on Jul 20 2008, 12:06 AM, said:

Unfortunately, it does happen when someone who also is truly competent in a number of areas deviates from the straight path. Being a competent referee, a knowledgeable official, does not make someone immune from crimes of passion or abuse of authority.

No doubt, some things will be very hard to prove. Any eventual manipulation of the rules in his favor, for example, is just one of these things. The gentleman did not have the authority by himself to change bylaws; all he did was launch or support motions, which were approved by the entire board. So, legally there will be very little if anything to get him on that.

I also agree with Stacey. In terms of slander (oral word) or defamation (written word), he could only retaliate if he can prove that anything said about him is malicious and untrue. In terms of the molesting allegations, he would have to show that he is being confused with someone else, was not in the country for years, is the victim of a malicious conspiracy, or any other highly unlikely circumstance.

The one thing one has to bear in mind, is that while we or you might have difficulties gaining evidence, that Law Enforcement does not have many of those difficulties as they can go a lot further than either me, you or the JI can go, including wire tapping, search warrants, mail confiscation, or do things that for us would constitute invasion of privacy. They can also act on rumors or impressions to further investigate if they feel there is probably cause.

I would not go as far as suggest that the JI is intentionally misguiding the process. I can see Jose's point to some extent. My impression is that their or the USOC's legal counsel realized that they pretty much have their own hands and feet tied because of previous incompetence, because of lapses in their bylaws (statute of limitations), because the accused has carefully maneuvered to not be subject to certain clauses, because the bylaws do not foresee in any option or existence of appeals or reopening cases and risk for double jeopardy exists, etc.

I cannot possibly imagine that the USJI is pleased with this. Irrespective of what is going to happen to the accused, this is real headache for them either way.

The way, I read the JI's statement is: "Go to Law Enforcement". In this way the issue is dealt with without the JI having to do anything, and it would also give them a legal reason, even if they made mistakes or even if because of their bylaws they cannot do much now, they could get rid of the accused. They are going to be a lot less reluctant if there is a criminal conviction in which case it also would show up on background checks, and they would not have to fear any legal retaliation from F.T. either.

Already now, the JI likely realizes they are not going to come out of this without blemishes. I imagine that if they do get rid of the accused that both judo public as JI finally will realize that a thorough revision of the bylaws is necessary; this is not just for the JI, but also for the JA and the JF.

We have argued before on this forum where I said that a complete and thorough separation between executive, legislative and and judicial power is essential. I argued about the importance of rights of the defense, but also rights of the accused. I pointed out that under European Law (in particular, article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights) any sports organization failing to do so, would have any imposed sanctions vacated. I was rebuffed at the time as it was pointed out that under American Law only the government is subject to most of these restrictions, and that a private organization can do whatever it wants. I hope that this case shows sufficiently the need for a separations of powers ... even if not required by American Law.

Any ethics or disciplinary investigation should not in anyway have to involve the Board of Directors, but should be conducted by an independent committee in which no one with any executive function can seat. Any disciplinary sanction, including suspension or eviction, should be the authority and prerogative of such a Disciplinary or Ethics Committee WITHOUT any involvement of the Board of Directors. It should NOT be the Board of Directors or only the Board of Directors who could ask an Ethics or Disciplinary Committee to investigate. Any one should be able to initiate such complaint, although also protection should exist against frivolous complaints.

It is also clear that only separation of the three powers can ensure fairness particularly when a member of the Board of Directors or even the CEO is the subject of alleged misconduct in Ethical or Disciplinary matters. It is clear that a Disciplinary or Ethics Committee should be able to operate completely independently and without any special permission from CEO or Board of Directors, so that they also would have the authority to suspend or sanction a member of the Board of Directors including the CEO, just like a Federal Judge or Appeals Court or Supreme Court can sanction the government.

I believe that it is good that a statute of limitations exist to avoid endless bickering, or frivolous complaints just to get someone. But one has to reflect if a statute of limitations as it is defined is realistic and appropriate for most violations likely to occur within a judo organization.

Finally, disciplinary proceedings including announcement of penalties, should be public just like a normal trial, with the exception of certain cases where the protection of the identity of minors may be necessary. It has been known for hundreds of years that a public trial gives the best guarantees for fairness and absence of manipulations. A clear appeals procedure must be defined. Appeals should be investigated by an entirely different committee without anyone who has previously judged the case, and once more without anyone who holds executive functions. Bylaws should state what term exists after a previous sanction or decision for filing the appeal, where it should be filed, how it should be filed, and eventually on what grounds it can be filed. Bylaws should also state what sort of sanctions are in place for what sort of violations.

There is a huge amount of work to be done in this area in all three judo organizations. I hope that the current case will finally prompt some action in this area. All three organizations are free to contact me by PM, and I will be more than happy to compose a committee of law experts with expertise in sports law to draw up such proper disciplinary proceedings.

Maybe this will stop the "RATS" from jumping from ship to ship, wasn't he formerly from the USJA, also aren't there elections going to be taking place soon. Maybe a changing of the guard?

#176 User is offline   Lilly 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:45 AM

View Postkanojujitsu, on Jul 19 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

Maybe this will stop the "RATS" from jumping from ship to ship, wasn't he formerly from the USJA, also aren't there elections going to be taking place soon. Maybe a changing of the guard?

Probably showing my ignorance here, but who exactly is eligible to vote in the election? The information posted on usjudo.org talks about the groups (coaches, referees, group A, and group B/C) but when you click on the 'group' registrations, the form lists 'head of delegation' and places for individual USA Judo numbers, etc.. For more information, you are directed to this document: http://www.usjudo.or...gProcedures.pdf which makes no sense to me, or the 51-page by-laws that are equally incomprehensible to me. Does anyone who is a member of USA Judo have a vote, or is each state organization limited to a certain number or something? And if that is the case, who votes for or appoints these people?

Thanks, Martha Lilly

#177 User is offline   ElvisTorino 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

This behavior is reprehensible on the part of the USJI. I will be calling on Monday to revoke my membership from them.

I cannot bear the thought of anyone who is responsible for such misery, or even suspected of being the cause for such misery, to be placed in a position of responsibility of the conduct or ethics of an entire National Governing Body.

I cannot bear the thought of a National Governing Body that does not exhaustively examine such allegations continuing to exist, much less represent elite-level athletes.

It is a great shame upon the executive and board of USJI that such can be even contemplated in the open about them with complete belief and by learned members of our US judo community.

This post has been edited by judoguyersomething: 20 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

#178 User is offline   OldTimer 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:28 AM

thanks for posting

#179 User is offline   Bill G 

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

View Postforzajudo, on Jul 19 2008, 09:56 AM, said:

Here are a couple numbers that should point us in the right direction:

US Olympic Committee
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
Main Telephone: 719-866-4837
Fax: 719-632-2884

I also found these two numbers listed as well. (888) 659-8687 or

All members of a NGB have to abide by the Code of Ethics for the USOC, as well as the NGB.

A complaint can be filed with the USOC and they can conduct their own investigation.

#180 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

View PostBill G, on Jul 20 2008, 04:16 AM, said:

All members of a NGB have to abide by the Code of Ethics for the USOC, as well as the NGB.

A complaint can be filed with the USOC and they can conduct their own investigation.

point!

located here (in teh videos section?)

their opening statement is a mission statement which says:

As a team, we are committed to:
• Achievement of excellence;
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthiness in all dealings;
• Respect for the rights, differences and dignity of others;
• Accountability and transparency; and

• Stewardship of the Olympic Movement.

they say further:

To our National Governing Bodies: we are committed to assisting National Governing Bodies to enable athletes to realize their Olympic and Paralympic dreams, to be effective governing bodies for sport in the United States and the Olympic and Paralympic movement, and to achieve sustained competitive excellence.

so, the emphasis is on the athlete.... go figure.

The first sentence of the Code is:

RESPONSIBLE CARE
All USOC operations are to be conducted in a manner that protects the health and safety of our colleagues and all people in the communities where they operate, and that follows all applicable rules and laws.

they empahsize keeping good books, noting:

It is a violation of the Code to alter or falsify information on any record or document, to intentionally make a false or exaggerated claim to anyone, or to mislead anyone about what we do.

so the NGB should have all records, be able to present all records....

USOC will not tolerate harassment of any kind. Any kind of harassment should be reported to USOC Ethics Help Line at 1-877-404-9935.

The USOC's policy statement is here (again in videos?)

coming in at number 8 is this " Recognize that even the appearance of misconduct or impropriety can be very damaging to the reputation of the USOC and act accordingly."

then it says this:

Enforcement: Each employee, volunteer, and member organization has the obligation not only to abide by the Code of Ethics, but also to report violations of the Code of Ethics when they become aware of them. The USOC will not tolerate any retaliation or threats of retaliation against anyone who, in good faith, reports a violation or suspected infringement.

the NGB has to abide by the ethics code, report violations when they become aware, and should not threaten or retaliate against reporters....

it was written in 2002, so well in effect when the 2005 complaints were made. They list contact information as:

Chief Compliance Officer
One Olympic Plaza
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
Telephone: 719/866-4111/FAX: 719/866-4260/Toll free telephone: 877-404-9935

all governance documents can be found here

wonder, wonder, scratch my head.... ah, the worm turns...
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic