JudoForum.com: USA Judo Statement to USOC on Official Accused of Molesting Athletes - JudoForum.com

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

USA Judo Statement to USOC on Official Accused of Molesting Athletes Rate Topic: ***** 7 Votes

#1 User is offline   Jerry Hays 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

Please see http://sports.aol.co...cused-of-moles/
Jerry

Isn't one minute of pain worth a lifetime of glory?
Pete Zamperini

#2 User is offline   soonermc 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

Isn't that the same author that just recently criticized Ronda for her statements? He needs take a side.

#3 User is offline   thePetester 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

"Isn't that the same author that just recently criticized Ronda for her statements? He needs take a side."

I don't think he took any side in the article linked here. He stated the fact that Ronda made an accusation on her blog and removed and that US Judo is looking into it and will have a statement for the USOC in the not to distant future. Where is he taking sides or contradicting his statement? It is newsworthy and he reported it.

#4 User is offline   Judolady 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

View PostJerry Hays, on Jul 8 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

Today I was e-mailed a statement from USA Judo CEO Jose H. Rodriguez saying, "USA Judo is looking into this situation and will be providing a statement to the U.S. Olympic Committee by next Monday, July 14."

Any wagers about whether this statement will have any teeth?
Do what you love; love what you do.

Visit us at: NorwichJudoDojo.com

"Attitudes are better caught than taught" -- John Saylor

#5 User is offline   soonermc 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

View PostthePetester, on Jul 8 2008, 10:21 AM, said:

"Isn't that the same author that just recently criticized Ronda for her statements? He needs take a side."

I don't think he took any side in the article linked here. He stated the fact that Ronda made an accusation on her blog and removed and that US Judo is looking into it and will have a statement for the USOC in the not to distant future. Where is he taking sides or contradicting his statement? It is newsworthy and he reported it.

Seems to be badgering:

http://sports.aol.co...nst-official-f/

#6 User is offline   Judolady 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

View Postsoonermc, on Jul 8 2008, 11:49 AM, said:

I don't see this as "badgering" at all. His emailed question was fair, and the concerns he brings up are legitimate.
Do what you love; love what you do.

Visit us at: NorwichJudoDojo.com

"Attitudes are better caught than taught" -- John Saylor

#7 User is offline   annmaria 

• Dr.
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

There was another website where I read the statement, "These documents were 20 years old."

I am bothered by the implications that some people seem to make that if you molested kids twenty years ago but no new victim has come forward in the last couple of years, then it is okay.

If USA Judo does an investigation, I wonder if it will be like their last supposed "investigation" when they didn't bother to actually talk to the victims. You'd think if someone was mentioned in affidavits and they were right at a tournament that perhaps someone from USA Judo would ask them, "Hey did this really happen?"

#8 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

1. will the statement be made public? (my bet, no)

2. will the statement have any bearing on the "accused official"? (my bet, no)

3. will Ronda suffer in the future? (my bet, no, but she will have to deal with being considered a pain in the a55 - good job, that!)

4. will the regular outside of judo media let this thing slide? (my bet - uncertain, depends on what happens all over the place, including with the USOC, IJF, etc).
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#9 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

Is this tread related to this other thread?

http://JudoForum.com...w...st&p=379180

If so perhaps the JF Administrator can combine threads.

This post has been edited by danguy: 08 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#10 User is offline   Jerry Hays 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

View Poststacey, on Jul 8 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

1. will the statement be made public? (my bet, no)

If the statement is not made public, can you request a copy under the Freedom of Information Act?

This post has been edited by Jerry Hays: 08 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

Jerry

Isn't one minute of pain worth a lifetime of glory?
Pete Zamperini

#11 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

I went to the posted article. I found if you clicked on the blue type you can get earlier verisions of this writers work. Included is an abridged version of what was redacted and his comments on the redaction.

See

http://sports.aol.co...nst-official-f/

and

http://sports.aol.co...-an-official-o/

I do not have any idea if the allegations have merit, are true, untrue, handled previously, found to be unfounded previously nor do I have any idependant understanding, knowledge or information on this matter. I just have the opinion that this creates a dark cloud over Judo. For good or bad, my guess is that the proximity of the games is likely the motivating factor for the USOC's action whatever it is. What I don't want to see is Ronda excluded from the games because she spoke out about a matter which was bothering her and perhaps her mother as well.

The other thread, if it is related to this one, seemed to imply that there are some rules in the USA Judo documents that are not sunsetted by age of factual allegation or that the allegations must even be true. There seems to me to be a number of loose threads that this current issue has brought to light. Perhaps this accusation will be handled once and for all in a fair, appropriate and final manner--what ever that might be-- and that some of the language in the USA Judo documents be clarified, strenghtened, explained, modified or removed as the USA judo board see fit to do in their authority and with advise of appropriate counsel. I have no direct interest in the creation of the rules guiding Judo, only that they appear reasonable, fair and are applied uniformally without any polictical spin; I can and do say that about most rules in life--alas, they are all human created, human interpreted and humanly flawed as are all things human. As a human I accept the fact we are all subject to making mistakes no matter how hard we try to be perfect--we are of course only human not "perfectuman."

In my time I have seen good Judo folks shown to be bad and supposedly bad Judo folks shown to be misidentified as bad; but overwhelmingly I have found many, many, many good people all of whom have made my life just a little bit brighter and more joyful. While the outcomes are not predictable and not without suprise, the only issue that truely upsets me is when there is no final outcome and issues are left hanging with the attendant dark clouds of gloom and innuendo remaining overhead. That does no good for the sport and "way" of Judo to which I devoted some 42 years and 11 months of my life.

This post has been edited by danguy: 08 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

If I am doing "win," sloppy and sissy is fine; if I am doing Judo, beautiful is my rule and goal. Judo is far more important and rewarding than "win."

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball [Judo] player." --John Wooden 1910-2010

"You should first try to negotiate nicely but you can be strong after there's resistance, and know, just like in judo, when to catch them." --Rusty Kanokogi, 2008, on negotiating.

#12 User is offline   NBK 

• Just happy to be here....
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

View PostJerry Hays, on Jul 9 2008, 05:23 AM, said:

If the statement is not made public, can you request a copy under the Freedom of Information Act?

A non-private 'statement'? What would be the point?

AFAIK the Freedom of Information Act only applies to the US government.

Cheers,

柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略

#13 User is offline   kanojujitsu 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

The most effective thing to happen would be for the victims to create a new and current affidavit, whereby they list their allegations. Just like priests have to answer for their previous misdeeds, this person would have to do the same.
Unless its a case of double jeopardy.

#14 User is offline   danguy 

• Gnarley Old Man
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

View PostNBK, on Jul 8 2008, 01:46 PM, said:

A non-private 'statement'? What would be the point?

AFAIK the Freedom of Information Act only applies to the US government.

Cheers,

I agree with that observation regarding USA Judo. But the USOC is in some odd situation as being created by an Act of Congress and as such, it is my understanding that they may be under some of the rules which affect the US government. That is a good question for someone who understands this narrow area of the law of Congressional created organizations and the FOIA.

#15 User is offline   annmaria 

• Dr.
  • Icon

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

FACT: There are MULTIPLE documents alleging that Fletcher Thornton molested minor female athletes when he was a coach, referee and judo official. These are signed, dated, notarized. The latest was written in 2005. If anyone even hints a thought that Ronda might be excluded from the games for publicly stating this fact they had better think again. How do I know this is a fact? Because I have copies of those documents.

I will be fascinated to see what USA Judo's statement is.

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic