• You cannot reply to this topic

For CK, Hanon, JudoSensei, PtNippon etc. Collective Wisdom Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Inferus 

• Judo Sponge
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

View PostCichorei Kano, on May 19 2008, 12:19 PM, said:

My understanding is, she ... eh ... is going to have those ... 'round' things progressively removed and replaced by smaller not so round things. She already had some ... eh ... corrections earlier this year to other parts that were showing ... uh ... wear and tear from her professional activities, but the surgery unfortunately was not a a success as it was ... eh botched ... leaving her with all sorts of malfunctions that in the good ol' days were necessary for her to excel in her job. <_<

You mean you burst your Jenna doll ? :lol:

#32 User is offline   Francois 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Come on guys, we're going way off topic here.
"The arts of peace and the arts of war are like two wheels of a cart which, lacking one, will have difficulty in standing."�Kuroda Nagamasa (1568-1623)

"In battle, if you you make your opponent flinch, you have already won." --- Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

#33 User is offline   Richard Riehle 

• Visitor from Planet Salo in the Crab Nebula
  • Icon

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

View PostInferus, on May 18 2008, 09:09 AM, said:

You have not seen her newaza -_-

True. However, I have on good authority (CK) that she has a superb Hadaka Shimmy.

I cannot believe that I am collaborating/contributing to this sub-topic of a perfectly sensible
starting topic!

#34 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

So ... the question was ... "Have you ever thought of putting together a collaborative book, DVD set, etc.?"

The word 'collective' is a bit strange here as it could refer to a collective of people putting that together or a collective of things that are being put together. My book is accompanied by a DVD-set with a bunch of judo kata. I favor of each book chapter to be written by co-authors just like it is done for major scientific textbooks, and publish it under the name of a number of co-editors. Practically it adds problems such as time-line, more gaps and increasing difficulties to maintain confidentiality of sources and other things.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#35 User is offline   GeneShin 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:41 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on May 19 2008, 04:52 PM, said:

<snip>
Practically it adds problems such as time-line, more gaps and increasing difficulties to maintain confidentiality of sources and other things.

Is this really an issue in a book about judo? Why?

#36 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:53 AM

View PostGeneShin, on May 24 2008, 01:41 PM, said:

Is this really an issue in a book about judo? Why?

Absolutely. It is a BIG issue. People lead different lives and things occur in their life. Here's one example. A gentleman I considered working with (not for this book though), his wife is diagnosed with cancer relapse, he is her only caregiver everything chemo, radio, and finally hospice. He also has a full-time job. How do you think that will affect deadlines or writing manuscripts, etc ?

Co-author publications usually are a bit simpler if done by people at the same institution: more follow-up, similar time-zone and framework and job. And even then ... I have done several project with international co-authors, no job was identical. In one case, everyone excited, but the department which had to carry out the project, had no time nor grants to support it. Finally, after 4 years I got a grant and traveled there myself, and then did the project. Then the samples were ready and some had to be sent out to a third department that was involved. By that time the department no longer was in that line of research and no longer had (self-produced) antibodies. They also had no personnel and money anymore. they finally decided to train someone again from scratch and paid for it. I finally received the results 4 years later after completing the project. There were financial issues for some of the other analyses too. Thos got delayed because of lack of money for two more years. Now the manuscript. I started writing it sent it to one department. My co-author, the professor over there, had married his student and left the university and was no longer working there or in academia, etc, etc.

In the end I brought everything to an end, simply because I never give up. I completed what could have been done in 6 months, in 9 years. No normal person would do this, but as I said, I never give up.

Every issue you could potentially have as an author, will exponentially increase with co-authors. On paper it looks like just "additional help", but in reality it often isn't. Imagine when you start having real issues with each other.

The perks of co-authorship are usually social. You learn to know people, and that may open some doors. Obviously, I have met and learnt to know some very nice people through such task. My explanation should also not be misconstrued as suggesting that everything with co-authors is a drag. In fact, my most recent collaborations were very satisfactory. What I am writing about here, is the potential, and this potential is very real. Just look at how many people constantly ask if my book is already finished. They clearly have no idea whatsoever about what it takes to write an exhaustive scientific oeuvre. Imagine they would be my coauthors. It would be a disaster. You need someone who is willing to put a lot of time in it and trust you, even if it takes 2, 8 or 20 years, and all that time without any payment or merit.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#37 User is offline   spam2000 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

View Postptnippon, on May 10 2008, 04:23 PM, said:

I have been trying to finish up a DVD set of kata for years.

I would love to get your DVD set. I attended a NNK clinic you ran at san shi a couple years ago and appreciated your general approach to kata as well as your attention to detail.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic