• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

blocks blocking punches in kata Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   greco 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

one thing i have noticed within the kata is that there is not alot of blocks, mainly alot of parrie's. just wondered anyones elses thoughts upon this. because in alot of traditional ju jitsu there is alot of emphasis upon blocks.

thanks

#2 User is offline   jefmlrjudo 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Greco

View Postgreco, on Apr 3 2008, 07:45 AM, said:

one thing i have noticed within the kata is that there is not alot of blocks, mainly alot of parrie's. just wondered anyones elses thoughts upon this. because in alot of traditional ju jitsu there is alot of emphasis upon blocks.

thanks

When you "block", you are stopping the strike, and thus stopping the force. So, in order to throw, you no longer have the force of that strike to add to that of the throw. When you "parry", you are diverting the force, but not stopping it. Therefore, the force of the strike is available to use towards the next technique. Even more often, that slight change in the direction of the force throws off the balance of the striker much more than a block, so it makes the striker and easier target for the next technique.

Jeff
Jeff Miller, Acadian Judo
"The Judo Naturalist"

"It's not a limp. It's a swagger!"

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?" - Jean Cocteau

#3 User is offline   NBK 

• Just happy to be here....
  • Icon

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

View Postgreco, on Apr 3 2008, 09:45 PM, said:

thanks

I'm not sure that's what I see - in many koryu jujutsu in Japan, you see everything but the kitchen sink - but mostly deflections, or jamming a strike before it begins. Reference furiage in goshin jutsu, when tori moves in to block the upswung jo before the downswing builds any force.

Not so much a force on force blocks at the optimal distance, like Taekwondo, some karate styles, although, sure, if required.

柔能制剛 - 弱能制強
黄石公三略 上略

#4 User is offline   Inferus 

• Judo Sponge
  • Icon

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

Blocking doesn't work if your opponent is heavy so it is much more effective and generic to use redirection or 'parry'ing. It is also more correct in terms of Judo.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic