• This topic is locked

how to increase pain tolerance? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Robato-kun 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

Any help here, I feel that I always tap faster then everyone else.

#2 User is offline   Scott_Wignall 

• Scott
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:20 PM

Time. Eventually, your body will adapt to the pain and the tolerance will increase.
Scott

Anyone interested in American Sign Language should look at the YouTube users: allyballybabe (Ally) and kiwisnotmelons (Lauren) and beckypoeh (Becky) and Heffy7 (Kristin) and katiemaew85 (Katie)

#3 User is offline   Robato-kun 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

That I understand, but does anyone know some drills/stretches?

#4 User is offline   Scott_Wignall 

• Scott
  • Icon

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

What technique are you tapping from? Juji-gatame?
Scott

Anyone interested in American Sign Language should look at the YouTube users: allyballybabe (Ally) and kiwisnotmelons (Lauren) and beckypoeh (Becky) and Heffy7 (Kristin) and katiemaew85 (Katie)

#5 User is offline   Robato-kun 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • View blog

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

Sorry about that....
No, I'll start judo only next week, right now I'm doing jujitsu, and when they bend my fingers, palm, etc, I'm pretty sure that I feel more pain than I'm supossed to.

This post has been edited by Robato-kun: 07 August 2004 - 09:40 PM

#6 User is offline   Scott_Wignall 

• Scott
  • Icon

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:46 PM

Well, I'll assume juji-gatame.

This would be a LOT easier with pictures.

Ok....

Both hands/arms.

1. Palms down on mat/floor. Lean forward, putting slight stress on wrists.
Same position but palms up. Lean forward, putting slight stress on wrists.

One arm at a time.

1. Bend left arm so that left hand is approximately shoulder height. Use right hand on top of left hand and twist it slightly to the outside. Repeat with the right arm/hand.

2. Hold left arm out in front of you, knife hand pointing up, thumb pointing down. Take the right hand and grip over the knife hand, twist it to the right. Repeat with the right arm/hand, reversing directions (right becomes left, etc).

3. Place your left hand on your left hip/waist. Back of hand against your waist. Use your right hand to grip the left elbow and pull it towards you while keeping pressure on your waist from your left hand. Repeat right side.

Fingers:

I use two fingers at a time and bend them backwards for 10 - 20 seconds.

Details:

I'm right handed and my right side is stronger than my left so I always work my left side first.

I do two fingers at a time because if I do all four at the same time, the stronger fingers would compensate for the weaker fingers (pinky and ring).

Those are all I know. I hope they help.
Scott

#7 User is offline   Blake's 7 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:09 AM

I think Scott is correct in that stretching exercises will gradually prepare your muscles and tendons and make you more flexible - I like his suggested routine.

Approaching your question from another angle - pain usually means that your body is being taxed in a way that it is having difficulty with. A little pain, strain and effort is good. Taking yourself way out of your comfort zone can be silly and dangerous. I worry that at this stage in your Judo you want to be the toughest kid on the block in not tapping when armlocked. If you are just starting Judo I would err on the side of caution.

Years of regular training give Judoka a good sense of their physical and mental limitations - coming to grips with your talent and limitations is part of the growth journey Judo can provide. Physical stamina and pain tolerance are as much mental as physical (perhaps much more in may opinion) and require gradual development over time.

A good example of this is the batsugan promotion. It's almost impossible for a 'normal mortal' to imagine defeating 10 Judoka in a row - the physical and emotional effort seems extreme. But with training it's quite possible and even enjoyable to become this hardened. If you are physically able to become fit - ie. no heart problems or other conditions - Judo training, over time, will gradually get you wherever you want to go.

Attending training regularly and conscientiously over time is, I think, the best advice to increase your pain tolerance in all areas.
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

#8 User is offline   Kozushi 

• Judo Black Belt (1st Dan)
  • Icon

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:28 PM

If you are getting tapped out a lot, then you should be since you are a beginner and the other guys are better than you right now. Just tap out if they've beaten you.
I've been doing Judo now for 16 years and every day since I started I have learned something new that I never thought of before.
Don't worry about being the best right away, just enjoy every little bit of progress you make.
Remember, you are already probably twice as good as anyone without grappling training.
Eventually you will be able to almost go to the point of being knocked unconscious before thinking about tapping out; but this takes time and knowing your safe limits.
Anyways, as a general toughening method for your body, why don't you try walking or hiking. They don't feel like you're even doing enything, but your body gets tough and strong from them. They are very good exercises for your neck muscles since you are holding up your head the whole time as your body is bouncing it around in different directions.
As far as pain tolerance goes, I think it has to be specific to the part. As tough as my neck and arms are to Judo locks, I cannot mentally tolerate a sick stomach, or being very tired.

This post has been edited by Kozushi: 09 August 2004 - 04:25 AM

Judo for MMA
KAKURE Judo Club

Mixed Martial Arts Unleashed
Mickey Dimic's Hamilton School of Martial Arts (HSMA)
Burlington Kendo Club
Anglo-Saxon Conquest of England Article
Poems

(Regarding fencing - which included all weapons and wrestling, i.e. MARTIAL ARTS generally) it is noble, and in my opinion to be preferred next to divinity, for as divinity preserves the soul from hell and the devil, so does this noble science defend the body from wounds & slaughter. And moreover, the exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it increases strength, and sharpens the wits. It gives a perfect judgement, it expels melancholy, choleric and evil conceits, it keeps a man in breath, perfect health, and long life. It is unto him that has the perfection thereof, a most friendly and comfortable companion when he is alone, having but only his weapon about him. It puts him out of fear, & in the wars and places of most danger, it makes him bold, hardy and valiant. - George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence, Chapter 1 (1599)

2008 Budokan Judo Champion. 2008 Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion. 2009 Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2009 Senior International Cup Judo Champion. 2009 Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. 2010 Budokan Judo Champion: 18yrs+. 2010 Budokan Judo Champion: 30yrs+.

#9 User is offline   Scott_Wignall 

• Scott
  • Icon

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:40 PM

I should have said this right up front...shame on me!!

If you are uke and you are in a juji gatame which is applied properly, tap. Unless you are extremely strong in your arms, you won't be able to power your way out of a proper juji-gatame, at least not without risking serious injury to your tendons and ligaments.

It's not a risk I would take.
Scott

#10 User is offline   RightintheFace 

• Superbadger Ultra Supreme!
  • Icon

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:53 PM

Scott_Wignall, on Aug 8 2004, 08:40 PM, said:

I should have said this right up front...shame on me!!

If you are uke and you are in a juji gatame which is applied properly, tap. Unless you are extremely strong in your arms, you won't be able to power your way out of a proper juji-gatame, at least not without risking serious injury to your tendons and ligaments.

It's not a risk I would take.

with a gi on, that's pretty easy to get out of. Unless your opponent is Jimmy Pedro:)
I've heard that if you step on a badger, he'll keep going after your shoe until the only recourse is to take off your shoe and give it to him. I've given RITF a couple of shoes. -yoda.

I dont think you are a bigot just intolerant and void of compassion and understanding (perhaps?)-Akeru

View Postteatime, on Sep 8 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

I told you I have no new arguments, you didn't "prove" it.

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice

#11 User is offline   Geoff 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

RITF you are such a wind up merchant - jujigatame isn't usually done using the opponents gi at all, what are you on about!!!!

it's a fantastic submission move with or without a jacket, and a good one is a good one regardless

#12 User is offline   Kozushi 

• Judo Black Belt (1st Dan)
  • Icon

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:34 AM

I think RITF is kidding. :lol:
Judo for MMA
KAKURE Judo Club

Mixed Martial Arts Unleashed
Mickey Dimic's Hamilton School of Martial Arts (HSMA)
Burlington Kendo Club
Anglo-Saxon Conquest of England Article
Poems

(Regarding fencing - which included all weapons and wrestling, i.e. MARTIAL ARTS generally) it is noble, and in my opinion to be preferred next to divinity, for as divinity preserves the soul from hell and the devil, so does this noble science defend the body from wounds & slaughter. And moreover, the exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it increases strength, and sharpens the wits. It gives a perfect judgement, it expels melancholy, choleric and evil conceits, it keeps a man in breath, perfect health, and long life. It is unto him that has the perfection thereof, a most friendly and comfortable companion when he is alone, having but only his weapon about him. It puts him out of fear, & in the wars and places of most danger, it makes him bold, hardy and valiant. - George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence, Chapter 1 (1599)

2008 Budokan Judo Champion. 2008 Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion. 2009 Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2009 Senior International Cup Judo Champion. 2009 Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. 2010 Budokan Judo Champion: 18yrs+. 2010 Budokan Judo Champion: 30yrs+.

#13 Guest_Uwhitebelt_guest

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

Only time, stretching, and practice can raise your tolerance to pain. Your body and mind will naturally build up resistance to the pain factors associated with submission techniques.
However, if you're starting out, you will be tapping quite quickly for a while. I cannot say "Submissions don't hurt/will not hurt..." because that is not true. You just won't tap out until the technique is fully applied (i.e. when your arm is completely straightened in jujigatame).

However, the fingers are quite weak in comparison to other joints. If I let her, my six year old sister could bend them back and have me in "OMG they're gonna break" pain. I wouldn't be surprised if you did tap out to finger locks!

Like I said before: Time, Stretching, Practice.

#14 User is offline   Warrior Monk 

• Judo Forum Yondan
  • Icon

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:44 PM

how to increase pain tolerance?

Have someone cane you for 15 minutes everyday, after a while I sure you will not feel much of anything.

#15 User is offline   Scott_Wignall 

• Scott
  • Icon

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:03 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Umm...I think that would really hurt! :wub:
Scott

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked