JudoForum.com: Kata Seiryoku Zen'yo Kokumin Taiiku - JudoForum.com

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kata Seiryoku Zen'yo Kokumin Taiiku Maximum Efficiency National Physical Education Kata Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ARAJUDOCOM 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:13 AM

Kata Seiryoku Zen'yo Kokumin Taiiku - Maximum Efficiency National Physical Education Kata

http://video.google....219933375&hl=es

:big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

http://www.arajudo.com

#2 User is offline   Judo4All 

• Non Nobis Solum Noti Sumus
  • Icon
  • Group: Banned

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:22 AM

View PostARAJIGO, on Jan 4 2007, 01:13 AM, said:

Kata Seiryoku Zen'yo Kokumin Taiiku - Maximum Efficiency National Physical Education Kata

ARAJUGO - thank you. As usual you have nice videos (though this one was a bit......)

Muchas Gratias.

Dino

This post has been edited by Judo4All: 04 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

"I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."
Socrates, from Plutarch, Of Banishment
(469 BC - 399 BC)

#3 User is offline   fredlinux 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

View PostARAJIGO, on Jan 4 2007, 06:13 AM, said:

I was really curios about this kata and never had seen a performance. But the first part was very strange to me.

A quote from Kodokan Judo about Tandoku Renshu (Individual Exercises): "Each of these exercises should be performed powerfully and with maximum speed at moment of impact. Unless performed as if you were actually attacking a enemy, they lack spirit".

For me the performance lack power, speed and spirit :)

I would like to watch more about this kata. Does someone have another performance to share?

#4 User is offline   sam 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

View Postfredlinux, on Jan 4 2007, 09:49 PM, said:

I would like to watch more about this kata. Does someone have another performance to share?

Ummmm.. I don`t think you`d find a better performance than this one. Very inspiring but I certainly do not show it to Umezu Sensei who`s in charge of instructing this Kata.

#5 User is offline   Doctor Horrible 

• "Consulting Genius"
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

I had no idea it was meant to look like tae-bo :huh:
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
---H.L. Mencken

#6 User is offline   Taigyo 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

I also had only seen this one in Kodokan Judo (book). I would agree that there could have been a lot better focus during the solo exercises, on a couple of those it looked more like they were just waving their arms around rather than striking. Has the Kodokan put out a tape on this one? I heard they were interested in "revitalizing" it. Also interesting is putting the sword in the belt on the right side, something that was never done historically, but is neccessary to maintain symmetry in the exercise.

#7 User is offline   Basti 

• Judo Forum Gokyu
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

I think it don't look like striking, they just throw their legs forward and backward, but i don't think that it would hurt very much. With the music in the backround, it looks a bit like dancing. The way they do it, it could be a streching-exercise.

This post has been edited by Basti: 04 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

#8 User is offline   ARAJUDOCOM 

• Judo Forum Nidan
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

http://www.judoinfo.com/seiryoku.htm

#9 User is offline   Judo4All 

• Non Nobis Solum Noti Sumus
  • Icon
  • Group: Banned

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

View PostARAJIGO, on Jan 4 2007, 03:11 PM, said:

"I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."
Socrates, from Plutarch, Of Banishment
(469 BC - 399 BC)

#10 User is offline   The Guv'nor 

• Look into my eyes
  • Icon

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

the first part of that kata reminded me so much of this link,

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vhRlfAFUves

Good Video, thank you

Keep Smiling
Keep Smiling

www.shintojudo.co.uk

Stercus accidit

#11 User is offline   silverback 

• Judo Forum Nikyu
  • Icon

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

View PostThe Guvna, on Jan 5 2007, 09:48 AM, said:

the first part of that kata reminded me so much of this link,

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vhRlfAFUves
Good Video, thank you

Keep Smiling

Nice one Guvna!

as for the original kata.........that looks embarrasing :lol:

#12 User is offline   jacket wrestler 

• Judo Forum Shodan
  • Icon

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

Sorry but i could only stomach 1min 30 seconds of that

Looks like Jane fonda is back in work
*Rippin matts and chokin,bendin joints you no its not jokin.

#13 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

View Postjacket wrestler, on Jan 6 2007, 05:20 AM, said:

Sorry but i could only stomach 1min 30 seconds of that

Looks like Jane fonda is back in work

Now, get this: half the forum is complaining about their club not practising jd atemi, and then when it is shown they think it is a joke. Jane Fonda ? Wuhahahahaha, how funny, no ? Think for second, what is jd about ? Sure if you think that judo is a sport where you fight, then this is funny. Just don't blame jd for that misunderstanding. Jd was never created as a sport, but as a means of physical and mental education, using a system that employed techniques and ideas from martial arts and that could be applied to defend itself. What is ... physical education ? Yes, that is a large part of gymnastics. Jane Fonda ? Yes, of course, there was no Jane Fonda, there was no TV, there was no Gold's gym, the only thing that existed where tree trunks and heavy stones, but virtually no one knew anything about the underlying physical principles of muscle and cardiorespiratory physiology. It was 125 years ago ! Kan developed some gymnastic exercise, yes, uh, like Jane Fonda. Since there wasn't too much DVD and video around in 1882 how on earth could one remember all those exercises ? Not only was doing them all essential to develop basic cardiovascular fitness, but also to practice the variety of basic strikes, kicks and defense techniques. So, Kan put them in an order, just like our alphabet has put its letters in an order which facilitates memorization: kata. As any other gymnastics exercise, it is useful, particularly in the days no no gyms, sports halls, or mats, to have exercises that could be done wherever you were just by yourself as you were waiting for the bus, train, or plane. Oh, wait, there were not planes or trains yet in 1882, were there ?

Of course, the kick and strike system is less elaborate than in karate, which is exactly why if you want an elaborate kick and strike system that you should go do karate. Jd is not kick- and strike-BASED, but it dose have them, because they can be used as kuzushi, as control, and to decrease imminent danger.

Though, I do not find the kata easy to remember, it is a useful exercise. Laughing is an easy. Give them a break. They are beginners ... at least in this kata. I can laugh about most sensei performing kata too if I want, it just depends on how well and how much you know the kata yourself. There is very few material available to study this kata: the illustrated Kdkan book, Fukuda Keiko's first book, the Australian lady, Pat what is her name again, and further you have to go back to the 70-year old books by Kud, Yamashita, and colleagues. In terms of videos, it is not featured in the official series of Kdkan video, so there is little out there to use as materials. In consequence the performances really are not that different from how Westerners performed nage-no-kata in the 1950's and goshinjutsu until the late 1960's, that is something with little proficiency and experience. However, those same people 20 years later became your and many people's sensei and experts in the exercises.

Sure, like fredlinux correctly indicates, lack power and spirit, and particularly inner living through the movements. The rhythmic performance indeed makes it look awkward at certain times, and may affect someones laughing muscles. There are some other oddities, the kime-shiki part with full performance left and right; this is indeed indicated as was intended, but is virtually never done, as it leads to some oddities when pulling and carrying the dagger and sword. The USJA has had a video available on which Greg Fernandez performs this kata together with Karen Collias. Whilst I do not like everything that Fernandez does, I do think that many people can learn from his kata experience, and they do have a far more spirite version of sei-ryoku zen'y kokumin taiiku.

Finally, I have had the privilege of practising and working on this kata under Umezu-sensei, which is definitely worthwhile. In the US, Eiko Shepherd does teach it yearly at the Soko Joshi camp and most students of Fukuda Keiko perform this rather well.
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

#14 User is offline   CBJudo 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:45 AM

View PostCichorei Kano, on Jan 6 2007, 02:44 PM, said:

... the Australian lady, Pat what is her name again,...

Pat Harrington is who you are thinking of.

#15 User is offline   finarashi 

• Judo Forum Godan
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

View PostCBJudo, on Jan 6 2007, 03:45 AM, said:

Pat Harrington is who you are thinking of.

Or the book(s) is(are)
"Judo : a pictorial manual" by Pat Harrington, Rutland, Vermont, United States, Charles E Tuttle, 1987, 280p, ISBN 0804818789
"Judo : a pictorial manual" by Pat Harrington, Newton Abbot, United Kingdom, David & Charles, 1987, 280p, ISBN 071538984X

At least Patricia Harrington and Sandra McCuish look spirited and determined in the numerous photographs in the book. (No men photographed) Last time I bough it, it cost about USD 15. Many used book sellers list this below USD 10. Definetely worth a buy for Kata stuy. I actually liked this book more than the Draeger one.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic