• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judo Books: Must Read Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   diemjay 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:24 AM

I have noticed that my current judo book is not detailed enough for me and does not cover as many throws/holds as I would like. I am going to buy a new book. I would like something that is detailed, has pitcures and/or diagrams, describes the objectives of movements, is as comprehensive as possible and is easy to understand. I am still pretty new to judo and have recently become quite interested in it.

Which book should I buy and why?

Cheers

#47 User is offline   stacey 

• damnum absque injuria
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:34 AM

what is your current book?
Disclaimer

Please note, the above provided information does not constitute legal advice but is written for entertainment purposes only. The author is not responsible should you pursue any of the above, and by reading the above, you agree to hold the author, the forum, and any and all other entity including but not limited to God harmless for any damage, monetary or otherwise, caused by your pursuit. Yadda Yadda....

#48 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

I have quite a few books on judo.

For someone just starting out, I would say my hands down recommendation would be Best Judo. Small book, filled with many of the techniques you will learn and need to get decent at in the first few years of judo. Nice mix of both newaza, tachiwaza, and combos. Cheap, plentiful, easy to keep around.

Others:

Canon of judo. Kind of esoteric in some spots. Not sure what to make of it. Some nice notes on individual throws. Used to be a fan of it, now more ambiguous.

Kodokan judo throwing techniques. An amazing repository of knowledge about judo throws. Many variations, covered sometimes in excruciating detail. However, it's more of a reference book. And until you are really working and fine tuning techniques, a lot of it's info you might just zoom over. Again, important book, but in my mind, more of a reference that shows the principle, and technical aspects of throws.

Kodokan Judo. Kano is listed as author, but he isn't. This is just a syllabus of Kodokan judo. Covers all the throws, kata, etc. in Kodokan judo. But pictures are small and bad. Writing is pretty terse. OK as a reference.

Vital Judo. By Okano. Amazing books. I think you have to have a bit of experience before what it covers makes some sense. It's filled with situational judo, and examples of throws as they are done in randori. Just a great book when you want to get past the basics of a throw like seoi, or uchi, etc. Again, until you've got some randori time built up, a book like this won't help much. And it's expensive. Probably $150 used.

Fighting Judo. This is an amazing picture book of newaza and related tachiwaza by Kashiwazaki. One of my absolute faves. But I hate to read it because it's gorgeous, and I'm afraid of ruining it. Also expensive.

Master class series from Ippon Books. There are a bunch of these on various techniques. Again, not much use to someone still learning just the basics.

All of these books are awesome. I eagerly bought them, but over time realized that while great to look at, I really had to build up some more judo skill to truly tap into them. The one I refer to the most is Best Judo.
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#49 User is offline   diemjay 

• Group: Full Members

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

I currently have Judo: The Essential Guide to Mastering the Art. The book has been very helpful and I certainly cannot claim to have mastered its contents. However, many of the holds/techiques my teachers have been trying to show me lately are not in this book. I don't learn techniques easily. It often takes me a long time to learn new things. I have to wrap my head and body around the mechanics fully. I need pictures (or a visual demo), detailed explaination of what each part of each move is trying to achieve, common variations, tips on what I should avoid doing, and a crap load of practice on my part. I want to have this type of reference material at my finger tips so that when I am shown something in class I can look it up and get an explanation in my native language. I don't mind spending a bit of money and I would rather have something that will remain useful as I progress.

At this point I think I am leaning towards getting both of these books: Best Judo and Judo Unleashed.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Cheers

#50 User is offline   JudoSensei 

• Founder of JudoInfo.com
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:52 AM

View Postdiemjay, on May 14 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

At this point I think I am leaning towards getting both of these books: Best Judo and Judo Unleashed.

Good choices.
"Plum Blossoms Open Because of the Frost and Snow"

JudoUnleashed.com . KodokanJudo.info . DoJudo.com

#51 User is offline   andyw 

• Judo Forum Sankyu
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:15 AM

Looking at your profile and your posts your pretty new so I would stick with a book that covers alot of the techniques, good pictures to demonstate, and good instructional for demonstating those techniques (don't forget about ukemi and just other general knowledge of terms and japanese names)

for this I would suggest Judo Unleashed

as a beginner I really only found books useful to remember names as compared to the actual instruction given to me by my sensai just to keep in mind, as you grow to have a greater understanding they can be a useful tool or just a good read for many as well

hope you don't feel left out Mr. Ohlenkamp

#52 User is offline   The Guv'nor 

• Look into my eyes
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

View PostJudoSensei, on May 15 2008, 05:52 AM, said:

Good choices.

Judo Unleashed, Ive not heard of that one Neil, is it any good?
Keep Smiling

www.shintojudo.co.uk

Stercus accidit

#53 User is offline   Steve Leadbeater 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

View PostThe Guv'nor, on May 15 2008, 06:25 PM, said:

Judo Unleashed, Ive not heard of that one Neil, is it any good?

Steve,

its not too bad a read on a rainy afternoon,
the bloke who wrote it has done a bit of Judo in the past. -_- :P :P
Do unto others BEFORE they DO you !!!

Join the A.B.H.A. (Aussie Badger Hunting Association)

Alas, poor Mongo, I knew him Horatio, the fellow was an infinite pest !!!

Yes, that is Daigo 10th Dan with me in my profile picture.

Mizuno Owners Club Member number 2.

#54 User is offline   Judolady 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

View Postdiemjay, on May 14 2008, 07:24 PM, said:

Which book should I buy and why?

Here are more opinions: http://judoforum.com...showtopic=23665

This post has been edited by Judolady: 15 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Do what you love; love what you do.

Visit us at: NorwichJudoDojo.com

"Attitudes are better caught than taught" -- John Saylor

#55 User is offline   herb mowery 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hello all;
I hope this little list will help you as it does for me!
1) Formal judo techs -by Dreager, otaki
2) Judo in action -Kudo -two books can find on e-bay pretty easy hard back very expencive but paper back cheaper.
throw and grappling very nice books
3) Sports Judo -kobayashi -sharp
4) Judo Tech's -Takagaki and sharp
5) The Secrets of Judo -Watanabe and Avakain
6) Chapionship Judo -kurihara
7) Vital Judo -very costly but killer two book series -probably the best.
8) Best Judo -Inokuma -Sato
9) Mastering Judo -Takahashi -this isn't one you have is it? I really liked it.
10) A to z Judo -Soar
11) Judo -History snd Philosophy -the best book for all new students and those not used to Judo as whole i think this book is one of my faves.
12) and lastly -one i just got not to long ago -by ours truely Judo sensei- Judo unleashed -another killer book.
Hope this list helps and you can see very nice video's on youtube as well but alway go to class as you will learn more that way than any other feeling the pain is always a great way to learn.
Sincerely;
Herb -_- :lol:

#56 User is offline   bythesea 

• Judo Forum Rokudan
  • Icon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

lol. everytime i'm at the book store they're out of judo unleashed. guess i'll have to hit amazon.
Kuchiwaza -- my tokuiwaza.

#57 User is offline   herb mowery 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:37 AM

View Postskytomorrownow, on May 15 2008, 04:21 PM, said:

lol. everytime i'm at the book store they're out of judo unleashed. guess i'll have to hit amazon.

Hey check out e-bay they had a couple just about an hour ago! :glass) cheap :huh:
See ya!

#58 User is offline   herb mowery 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:07 AM

Hello all;
Just in case i might have this incorrect and i am sure you all will let me know ,i used at ask CK about book all the time but after reading a article here about Oda sensei in his writing. First book was called "Koshita Judo Wa Sushume "(You progress this way in Judo).
He wrote first book and then 25 years later wrote a two volume set "Judo Taikan" -yeap i said it 25 years later and then even further down the way in both age and just in time for his 9th dan promotion he publishes a third book that was 300 pages i think in lenght so in defence of CK sensei and all his bad habbits he may encounter be borded <_< so please all wait o.k. sure he is taking his time but remember lets just hope it isn't 25yrs.
Sincerely;
HERB. -_-

This post has been edited by herb mowery: 16 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

#59 User is offline   Tsurumaki 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:00 AM

View Postherb mowery, on May 16 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

...in defence of CK sensei and all his bad habbits ...

Herb,
Ain't that prodding the bear? Maybe you should list some of those bad habits while you still can (for research purposes).

#60 User is offline   Cichorei Kano 

• Judo Forum Hachidan
  • Icon

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:03 AM

View PostTsurumaki, on May 16 2008, 12:00 PM, said:

Herb,
Ain't that prodding the bear? Maybe you should list some of those bad habits while you still can (for research purposes).

That happens if you sleep with the dog (you get his flees). <_<
"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
"Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
"I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic