• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Increasing Reaction Time and Reflexes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scarredenigma 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

What are some excercises someone can do to increase their reaction time and their reflexes?

#2 User is offline   RyanL. 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Special Members

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

Juggling.

#3 User is offline   Darshu 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

You have to train your reflexes for the action that you need those reactions for. So, for example, I used to have my wrestlers jog in place and sprawl on comand. Also working the timing on throws, especially the ashiwaza will improve your reaction time. If you start slowly with a deashi-harai as uke is stepping forward and increase speed with proficiency, then when the opportunity presents itself in reality, you will react instinctively.
John Schneider
JudoFitness.com

1. The Body is One Piece
2. There are three kinds of strength training:
• Putting weight overhead
• Picking it off the ground
• Carrying it for time or distance
3. All training is complementary.
-Dan John

#4 User is offline   Ranma 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

be calm.

#5 User is offline   RiverCity Physical Culture 

• subject matter expert
  • Icon

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

View Postncy_czn, on May 18 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

be calm.

i would strive to decrese my reaction time

:)

#6 User is offline   Guest`luck` 

• Judo Forum Rokkyu
  • Icon
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:09 AM

play video games
没有失败,只有放弃

#7 User is offline   KarlSG 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

Reflexes I see as a natural trait and cannot be improved. Reaction time can be vastly improved. As mentioned above limit options your brain has to think about when it has to act, by ingraining the most favourable action to it.

You will also increase them by being really fit. Or rather they will not decrease as much as you get tired.

Karl.

#8 User is offline   Folsoml 

• Unbeaten in the octagon
  • Icon

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

View PostSanDaWang, on May 19 2006, 09:33 AM, said:

i would strive to decrese my reaction time

:)

I was thinking the same thing. ;)

To increase it, I guess you could sit around all day drinking beer and watching TV.

This post has been edited by Folsoml: 13 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"-Adam Savage

#9 User is offline   Christian Boekel 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:09 AM

View Postscarredenigma, on May 18 2006, 04:53 PM, said:

What are some excercises someone can do to increase their reaction time and their reflexes?

Have a couple of beers.

Christian

#10 User is offline   Christian Boekel 

• Judo Forum Sandan
  • Icon

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

View PostKarlSG, on Jul 13 2006, 08:39 PM, said:

Reflexes I see as a natural trait and cannot be improved. Reaction time can be vastly improved. As mentioned above limit options your brain has to think about when it has to act, by ingraining the most favourable action to it.

You will also increase them by being really fit. Or rather they will not decrease as much as you get tired.

Karl.

Hi KarlSG,

good point about fitness and its role in maintaining short reaction times. However, reflexes can be trained. The reason is that in Judo we are largely not talking about genetically hardwired reflexes (like the classic patella tendon, eyelid, or swallowing reflexes), but conditioned reflexes (as you phrased it "... ingraining the most favourable action .."). Here there is a whole continuum of motor learning from having to plan an action beforehand, to releasing an action where a set of motions has become automated (e.g. in throwing), to real automated reflexes. Full reflexive automation may not even be desired in many contexts (e.g. choice of attack), as it implies predictability. The closest many players get to that is in Ukemi, where you can drop off your bike and roll, but also in defensive Tai Sabaki, overstepping of footsweeps, and other small and mainly reactive/defensive actions.

This automation can only be gained through years of training. Although there are drills ( to sharpen ones reactions (like running around, then sprawling upon command, or small footsweep duels: one guy hops in place, the other takes his time to attack him with a footsweep, only then is the first guy allowed to react), most of the improvement in reaction time comes from anticipation and early recognition of the opponents moves, which is ONLY coming from randori experience.

Cheers,

Christian

#11 User is offline   Learner 

• Judo Forum Ikkyu
  • Icon

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

Its interesting that there are some combination techniques that only work well against experienced judoka since inexperienced judoka do not react the "right" way.

So be careful what you wish for in faster reactions, as CB said the fastest reaction time comes from reflexive action which creates a pattern of predictability which can be used against you.

What I think is more desirable (that fast reflexes) in judo is sensitivity. Which is the ability the sense your opponents true intentions, to distinguish a feint from a threatening attack and to unravel their movement patterns to the point that you KNOW what will happen next and with a simple act of kuzushi - IPPON!

#12 User is offline   KarlSG 

• Judo Forum Yonkyu
  • Icon

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

View PostChristian Boekel, on Jul 14 2006, 05:30 PM, said:

Hi KarlSG,

good point about fitness and its role in maintaining short reaction times. However, reflexes can be trained. The reason is that in Judo we are largely not talking about genetically hardwired reflexes (like the classic patella tendon, eyelid, or swallowing reflexes), but conditioned reflexes (as you phrased it "... ingraining the most favourable action .."). Here there is a whole continuum of motor learning from having to plan an action beforehand, to releasing an action where a set of motions has become automated (e.g. in throwing), to real automated reflexes. Full reflexive automation may not even be desired in many contexts (e.g. choice of attack), as it implies predictability. The closest many players get to that is in Ukemi, where you can drop off your bike and roll, but also in defensive Tai Sabaki, overstepping of footsweeps, and other small and mainly reactive/defensive actions.

This automation can only be gained through years of training. Although there are drills ( to sharpen ones reactions (like running around, then sprawling upon command, or small footsweep duels: one guy hops in place, the other takes his time to attack him with a footsweep, only then is the first guy allowed to react), most of the improvement in reaction time comes from anticipation and early recognition of the opponents moves, which is ONLY coming from randori experience.

Cheers,

Christian

Its just my habit to look at things in term of base talent. So I use terms like reflexes (and strength) as general qualities of an individual. Reaction times I apply to the specific movement which may be improved. This is just my pet take and I cannot disagree with your post on the basis of it.

Karl.

#13 User is offline   Dragon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

View Postscarredenigma, on May 18 2006, 03:53 PM, said:

Wait longer before making a move

#14 Guest_Kasey_guest

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

View PostDragon, on Jul 15 2006, 12:53 AM, said:

Wait longer before making a move

I bounce a tennis ball while I run on the treadmill. My hand speed has improved

#15 User is offline   Dragon 

• Judo Forum Shichidan
  • Icon

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:31 PM